Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Tree

A friend invited me to an exhibit a while back about the different works of women throughout history. Initially, I wasn't really interested in going and told him, "I already know what they're gonna show and talk about. Women empowerment blahblahblah I get it. I'm all for it. I don't need to go to another one of those shows to be 'inspired' or whatever." After a whooole lot of convincing, I gave in and finally went. I vaguely remember seeing a lot of cool stuff. But the only one I will never forget was the poem below with the image of a woman with outstretched arms, so carefree, and peaceful. She had a tattoo done on her right chest after many months of healing and wrote about her story.



I am no longer afraid of mirrors where I see the sign of the amazon,
The one who shoots arrows.
There was a fine red line across my chest where a knife entered,
But now a branch winds about the scar and travels from arm to heart.
Green leaves cover the branch, grapes hang there and a bird appears.
What grows in me now is vital and does not cause me harm.
I think the bird is singing.
I have relinquished some of the scars.
I have designed my chest with the care given to an illuminated manuscript.
I am no longer ashamed to make love.
Love is a battle I can win.
I have the body of a warrior who does not kill or wound.
On the book of my body, I have permanently inscribed a tree.

- Deena Metzger, Tree, Photograph by Hella Hammid


For all the brave women who continue to fight breastcancer.
You are awesome.

2 comments:

Will said...

right on.

B.J. said...

That friend had some vision! Amazing photo, wow, I'm glad you found it